Christmas Sausages with Our Chipolatas
- Cut each strip of bacon in half and stretch them with a knife; run the back of a knife along the length of each strip of bacon to flatten and stretch them slightly – this stops them shrinking during cooking.
- Wrap one half strip of bacon around each sausage (chipolatas), making sure that the seal is underneath the bacon/sausage roll. Skewer with a cocktail stick if neccessary.
- Cover them with cling film or place them in a sealed container and store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook or place them in the freezer and defrost them in the refrigerator on Christmas Eve.
- To Cook:
- Place on a lightly greased oven tray and roast in a pre-heated oven, 200C/400F/gas Mark 5, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked and crisp.
- Set to one side and keep warm until needed.
- These can be cooked ahead of time and reheated in the oven alongside the turkey or roast potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Serve alongside the roast turkey – I always allow 2 per person.
- If you skewer thse with a cocktail stick, they make great appetisers too! Serve with cranberry sauce as a dip.
- NOTE: If you can only get the normal size chipolata sausages, gently squeeze them in two or three places – see my photos – to make 3 or 4 smaller sausages from 1 longer one; 6 normal sized sausages will yield between 18 and 24 smaller sausages!