Organic Diestel Turkey (Frozen)
Diestel Organic Turkey Approx 4kg – 4.5kg /packet
The Diestel Organic turkey has a superior meat-to-bone ratio with a smaller bone structure. Perfect for the grill, barbeque and roasting, you get a tender and juicy texture with that real old-fashioned turkey flavor. Delicious!
This organic turkey was slow- grown in the clean Sierra Nevada Foothills with individual care, where they are raised longer to develop flavor naturally. Fed a wholesome low-fat vegetarian diet of quality grains and soybeans milled on the Diestel ranch and, as always, completely free of growth stimulants and hormones.
- Certified Organic & NON-GMO Project Verified
- No gluten, casein, carrageenan, phosphates, MSG, artificial ingredients or preservatives
- No added salt solutions and ice-chilled for quality
- No antibiotics, growth stimulants, or hormones
- 100% Vegetarian Diet, enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- GAP Rated Step 3
- Raw, uncooked
The many health benefits of eating turkey include:
- Turkey is a very rich source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, and the amino acid tryptophan. Apart from these nutrients, it also contains zinc and vitamin B12. The skinless white meat of turkey is low on fat and is an excellent source of high protein.
- Turkey also contains anti-cancer properties. It is a very good source of the trace mineral selenium, which is an essential component required for thyroid hormone metabolism, antioxidant defense systems, and immune function. Scientific studies have suggested that selenium intake can bring down cancer incidence.
- Light, skinless roasted turkey is low on saturated fat and total fat. It also contains less cholesterol than chicken, pork, or beef.
- Turkey is believed to have mood-enhancing properties. It contains tryptophan, which produces serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps improve your mood. Tryptophan also plays an important role in strengthening the immune system, as suggested by scientific evidence.
- The vitamin B6 and niacin present in turkey are essential for energy production in the body. Niacin is also important for converting the proteins, fats, and carbohydrates in the body into usable energy.
- Being a rich source of vitamin B6, turkey facilitates methyl donation in the basic cellular process of ‘methylation’. Through this process, methyl groups are transferred from one molecule to another which results in the formation of a wide range of active molecules that are important for the body.
- The tryptophan present in turkey is effective in treating chronic insomnia. It promotes sleep and is, therefore, recommended to those suffering from insomnia.*
Preheat oven to 325º F. Removes soft oven-ready turkey from the bag. After removing the neck and giblets from the body cavities rinse the bird with cold water. Pat turkey dry with a paper towel. If you choose to stuff your bird this would be the time to do so.
Family Recipe: Simple Rub
Rub the exterior of the turkey with a blend of your favorite herbs and spices or with a paste made of the following ingredients:
4 Tbsp oil, (melted butter, margarine, olive oil, etc.)
4 tsp. salt, or to taste
2 tsp. paprika
Place the turkey in an open roasting pan, breast side up. Cover the bottom of the pan with approximately 2 cups water or broth. Place your beautiful turkey in the oven for 2 hours.
Use a 325º F oven. We would encourage you to check the internal temperature throughout the roasting time to be careful not to over-roast. The internal temperature typically increases more rapidly during the last half of roasting.
There is no need to turn the bird while roasting as it will brown to a rich, golden color. A foil tent can be placed loosely over the turkey during the last hour of roasting to prevent over-browning. For truly marvelous gravy, heat (do not boil) 1 cup white wine. Pour this over your turkey halfway through the roasting time. When the turkey reaches the desired internal temperature, remove it from the oven. Cover and let stand for at least 15 minutes before carving.
That suggested roasting times may vary. If the turkey is unstuffed, decrease the roasting times listed below by approximately 30 minutes.
To remove the truss just lift the ring and pull it up and over the end of the drumstick. To secure the truss, hold the drumsticks together, lift the ring and pull it over the drumsticks. The nylon truss is oven and microwave-safe and can withstand oven temperatures of up to 450º F.